Dance is an art form that is practised or performed in various ways by various groups of people. As a result, dance can be classified according to country, area, ethnicity, style, and so on. Dance and human civilization have been inextricably linked from the dawn of time. With time, dance has evolved into a significant tool for relaxation, amusement, health, the preservation of social relationships, religious rites, and the celebration of events, among other things. Dancing was also used to convey human thoughts and feelings, as well as to communicate. People nowadays choose dance for a variety of reasons, such as passing along a family legacy, increasing physical and mental health, as a career, and so on. Dance forms arose swiftly in response to the increasing desire for creativity, and we now have a variety of dance forms based on diverse locations, cultures, religions, and so on.
21 Different Kinds of Dance Form
Certain classical dances, for example, are well-known in India, and other places, such as Brazil, have their unique dance. However, there are several dances that are widely performed and practised all over the world. Here’s a sample of some of them.
- Ballet: Ballet dance originated in Italy. Ballet is a word that signifies “dancing.” This is well recognized around the world as one of the most artistic kinds of entertainment appreciated by people of all ages. This dance style combines choreography and art, including theatrical design, lighting, costuming, and beautiful movements set to light classical music. Traditional ballet dancing techniques are being phased out in favor of new modern ballet dance techniques. Ballet dance forms include classical ballet, modern ballet, neoclassical ballet, and others. Once you’ve recognized your passion for this form of dance, it’s not difficult to learn.
- Bharatnatyam: Bharatanatyam is a Tamil Nadu-based Indian classical dance genre. It is a dancing form that is practiced by both men and women. It is well-known for its tenderness of elegant expressions and the beauty of its dancing steps. While performing, dancers wear anklets with several copper bells connected. Dancers must excel at the art of perfecting the ringing of bells in anklets, as well as having sufficient control over it. Bharatnatyam is a well-known genre of Indian dance style.
- Contemporary Dance: Contemporary dance blends elements of numerous dance forms, including modern, jazz, lyrical, and classical ballet, to create an expressive dance. Through fluid dance movements, contemporary dancers attempt to integrate the mind and the body. The term “contemporary” is a misnomer: it refers to a genre that emerged in the mid-twentieth century and is popular now. Unlike ballet, which is rigid and regimented, contemporary dance emphasizes versatility and spontaneity. Contemporary dancers concentrate on floorwork, allowing gravity to drag them to the ground. This type of dance is frequently performed barefoot. Contemporary dance can be conducted to a variety of musical styles.
- Break Dance: Breakdance, often known as a street dance, was created by Puerto Rican and African American youths. Power moves, down rock, top rock, and freezes are the four major motions of this dance form. This is a modern type of dance that consists of abstract body steps that may or may not convey any meaning. It is typically practiced by teenagers. Break dancing is mostly spontaneous, with freezes, power moves, down rock, and toprock being examples of “traditional” motions or routines. The focus is on movement, imagination, humor, and a sense of peril. It’s designed to evoke the gritty environment of city streets, where it’s said to have originated.
- Lion Dance: The lion dance is a traditional form of Chinese dancing. The dancers in this type of dance wear lion costumes and imitate the movements and patterns of a lion. This sort of dance style is stunning to watch and is unlike any other dancing form because you cannot see the person behind the costume in this style. The Chinese lion dance is usually performed by two dancers, one of whom controls the lion’s head and the other the lion’s tail. It differs from the dragon dance, which is practiced by a large group of people holding the dragon’s long serpentine body on poles. The core moves of Chinese lion dance can be discovered in Chinese martial arts, and it is often performed to a pounding drum rhythm.
- Hip hop- Hip-hop is a culture and art movement founded in the Bronx, New York City, by African Americans, Latino Americans, and Caribbean Americans. The name’s etymology is frequently debated. It is also debated whether hip hop originated in the South or the West Bronx. While the term hip hop is frequently used to refer to simply hip hop music (including rap), hip hop is defined by nine characteristics, only four of which are regarded as important to comprehending hip hop musically. Hip hop is both a new and an old phenomena; because sampling tracks, beats, and basslines from old albums is so important to the art form, much of the culture has focused on the idea of modernizing historic recordings, attitudes, and experiences for modern listeners. In hip hop culture, “flipping” refers to sampling past culture and recycling it in a new context or format.
- Kabuki: Kabuki is a type of traditional Japanese dance drama. This is notable for its performance stylization as well as the extravagant and highly sophisticated make-up used by the actors. Kabuki takes a lot of practice and handling the outfit as well as the dance routines require experience. For nearly four centuries, it was one of the most important theatrical performances in Japan. Kabuki is considered to have started in Kyoto during the early Edo period, when creator Izumo no Okuni organized a female dance troop to perform dances and light comedies. After women were forbidden from appearing in kabuki theatre in 1629, the art form evolved into its current all-male theatrical form.
- Salsa: It will be in the shape of another style of western dance that practically everyone is familiar with and that is performed all over the world. Salsa originated in New York as a result of the significant Latin American influences. The lead dancers use their arms to communicate with the followers. The lower body, specifically the hips, body, and legs, perform the majority of the expressive motions in these sorts of dances. The upper body maintains its position. Salsa can be done in a variety of styles, which can be distinguished by foot patterns, turns and figures, timing, body rolls, dance influence, attitude, and the way the couples hold each other while dancing.
- Waltz: The Waltz is a ballroom couple dance performed in closed positions. This dancing style first appeared in the country of England around 1816. This dance genre is mentioned and described in several Victorian books. While dancing, the man must grasp his arms around the waist of his female companion. Performers must execute delicate and fluid techniques while dancing to slow melodic music in this genre of modern dance.
- Belly Dancing: Belly dancing is a unique form of dance that falls under the category of modern dance. Sharp and rolling movements of the abdomen and hips characterise it. Depending on the region and country in which it is performed, this dance genre contains a variety of dancing moves. Hip and torso movements communicate the most effectively. Shakira, a well-known Latin American diva, popularised this form in the 2000s.
- Swing: Swing, as the name implies, is a fascinating dance form. It is a collection of swing-style dances performed to jazz music from the 1920s to the 1950s. Swing is a catch-all term for a variety of dances such as Jitterbugs, Boogie Woogie, and Lindy Hops. This sort of dancing is enjoyable, and the performers dress stylishly but comfortably. Until the latter half of the twentieth century, the term “swing dance” was rarely used to describe a group of dances. The term “Swing” originally referred to the jazz music style that influenced the dance’s development. Jitterbug is a term that refers to any type of swing dance, while it is most commonly used to refer to the six-count Lindy Hop variation known as “East Coast Swing.”
- Aerial Dance: Aerial dance is getting increasingly popular these days. This dance form is difficult to master and necessitates extensive training. It was initially performed in the United States in the 1970s. The term implies that the performer in this form must perform in the air. The dancer hangs from any contraption attached to the ceiling and performs steps while suspended in mid-air. It gives you a lot of room to experiment with new ideas and dancing moves.
- Tango: Tango is a popular partner dance that stresses a lively and fun style of movement, rich expressiveness, and improvisation, as well as a tight connection and passion between dancers. The tango dance’s main premise revolves around the leader and follower, with the leader directing the follower’s actions through their embrace, and the follower deciding how to respond. The end result of this collaborative effort might be a highly improvised dance that completely captivates both the dancers and the audience. The tango dancers’ dress is particularly crucial since it has a considerable impact on the visual appeal of the dance, especially for female dancers who promote their elegance and sexuality by performing intense tango dance routines while wearing revealing clothing.
- Fandango: The primary dance of Portugal is the fandango. It includes both singing and dance. Dancers tap their feet and quickly switch positions. Castanets, guitars, and even hand-clapping are used to accompany this dance genre. It is usually danced by couples and begins gently, with castanets, clapping of hands, snapping of fingers, and stamping of feet marking the rhythm; the speed progressively increases.
- Cancan: Cancan is a physically hard and high-energy hall dance. It is usually performed by a chorus of women dressed in stunning long skirts with black stockings. The lifting of the long frilly skirt high, accompanied by high kicking, is the main aspect of this form. Cancans are famous for their raucous leg-kicking, which generated controversy when they originally arrived. The sensual dance, which violated Victorian sensibilities, signaled the start of a new period in French society.
- Latin Dance: Latin dances are a diverse range of dance genres that are linked by their origins in Latin America, as well as their typically impassioned rhythms and performances. Latin American dances are a style of ballroom and club dance that gained popularity in Europe throughout the nineteenth century. They owe their widespread popularity to the Americas’ strangely mixed cultures, which include European and native folk dances. As a result, the paso doble, a Spanish folk dance with features performed by bullfighters during a bullfight, became well-known throughout the world. Samba was brought to Brazil and eventually to Europe, while rumba and cha cha cha, which originated in Cuba and Haiti, show African influence.
- Iranian Dance: Persian Dance, also known as Iranian Dance, is a sort of dance form native to Iran. Dance genres in Iran typically differ based on the region, culture, and language of the locals. They also range from exquisite court dance replicas to energetic folk dances. The dance style is rhythmic and visually appealing.
- Azerbaijani Dance: Several Azerbaijani dances are practised and used by the Azerbaijani and Irani peoples of Azerbaijan. Their dance is exciting, and they distinguish it from other dances by having a rapid pace. They are amusing to see and have piqued the interest of the general public.
- Disco Dance: Disco dancing is a form of dancing form that originated in the early 1970s as a musical style. It began in the metropolitan nightlife scene of the United States, where it was limited to house parties. From then on, it began to make regular appearances in the mainstream media and grew in popularity. Its popularity peaked between the mid-1970s and the early 1980s.
- Folk Dance: Folk dance is a common type of dance that is commonly seen in rural areas. It discusses the folklore surrounding the village’s suffering. It is a sort of traditional dance that focuses on a certain group of people or community. The outfits are interesting and usually depict the community’s traditional attire.
- Electronic Dance: This dance style is also known as Electronic Dance Music (EDM). This style emerged in Northern Europe in the 2000s and grew in popularity over the next two decades. This dance is usually performed to electro house music and is based on several dancing forms such as disco, hip hop, and freehand glow sticking.
Dance is an art form that has been practised for thousands of years for a variety of reasons. Dance was exclusively done in front of the monarchs and temples for amusement in ancient times, according to history. Modern-day dance has emerged in various forms and for many goals, such as dance as an art, social bonding, a vocation, health, relaxation and recreation, and so on. If you want to learn to dance, pick one of the styles listed above that best suits your needs. Make sure you begin dancing in the presence of a professional because any mismatch might create tension or dislocations in your body.